Apply now: Oorkaan Method Intensive Course
Train together with the Oorkaan Ensemble!
Apply now for the Oorkaan Method Intensive Course, a training designed for musicians to break the traditional way of “classical” music concerts by using the Oorkaan Method.
When and where?
17 – 20 April 2023
8 – 11 May 2023
Deadline for applications: 5th of December, 2022
Founded in 2001 in the Concertgebouw Amsterdam, Oorkaan is the internationally awarded organization that dedicates itself to the creation of high-quality staged concerts for young audiences. Since 2015 artistic director Caecilia Thunnissen has developed the artistic signature of Oorkaan by using the ‘Oorkaan Method’ – in which music is the prime focus and all the performers are musicians.
What is the Oorkaan Method Intensive Course?
A training designed for musicians to break the traditional way of “classical” music concerts by using the Oorkaan Method. This method focuses on improving body awareness, learning the basics of physical acting and exploring the dramaturgy within the music while playing by heart. The result is a dynamic staged concert.
The course will take place in Amsterdam during the following dates:
17 to 20 April 2023
8 to 11 May 2023
It is only possible to apply for both periods. However, if you are not available to come for a few days or part of the day, please get in touch with us to see if you can still apply.
The days will be around 7 hours long, including one hour lunch break offered by Oorkaan.
During the first period, every morning you will be trained by professionals from the mime (= physical acting, not pantomime!) and dance world. In the afternoon you will rehearse music (global classical music*), which we will previously send you, with the other applicants and the Oorkaan Ensemble. It is important you are comfortable in learning the music by heart to allow the staging.
* With our repertoire of ‘global classical music’, we break open the canon of Eurocentric classical music and take away the borders between world music, classical and jazz.
Who is this course for?
– You are a musician wanting to explore different ways of performing music.
– You are happy to get out of your comfort zone, both musically and physically.
– You have an interest in playing music combined with physical acting.
– You love working in a team.
– Students of conservatories must be at least in their third-year bachelor or graduated.
– All musicians who didn’t follow a conservatory degree have to give proof of a professional ongoing career. Reading sheet music is not required but it is a plus.
– The application is open only to acoustic instrumentalists (pianists and singers unfortunately are excluded).
Participation in the Oorkaan Method Boost is financed by Oorkaan. The costs are covered for:
– Course fee.
– For travel expenses, a pro-rata reimbursement for climate-neutral travel will be sought.
– In case you need more than 2 hours travelling to get to the location we might be able to provide you with accommodation in a double room.
How to Apply
Please send an email to email@example.com before the 5th of December with the following:
– A short YouTube video max. 2 minutes (It doesn’t have to be a professional shot) in which you describe your motivation to participate to the Oorkaan Method Intensive Course. At the beginning of your video state your name and your instrument.
– At least 1 YouTube video of you playing.
– Your CV.